As the world is constantly moving towards advancements, the demand for Mobile App & software development has also seen an upsurge. Even kids in the school are learning to code. The software development industry is witnessing spiraling growth and in effect, the demand for software development tools is also growing.
Today, developers have a long list of software development tools to choose from. To help you out in filtering the best tools, we have crafted a list of 21 software development tools.
- Access Rights Manager
- Zend Studio
- CodeCharge Studio
- Crimson Editor
- Microsoft Azure
You can go through the list, see the features, and choose the best for your project.
You will definitely find GitHub as one of the top preferences of software development enthusiasts. If you are looking for a software development tool capable of code management and code review, got for GitHub. It can serve as your Google Drive. You can upload your projects on GitHub and find them later on the platform.
GitHub does not only act as a software development tool, it also helps with the software development process. You can create software & applications, review & host the code, manage your projects, and do a lot more with GitHub.
Key Features of GitHub
- You can use GitHub for free for open-source projects and public use.
- You can use GitHub to host document your codes and host them from repositories.
- If you are looking to experiment with new programming languages, GitHub can serve you the best.
- You can host GitHub on cloud platforms and servers.
- You can run it on Mac OS and Windows.
- You can control the access of every team member with GitHub.
- If you are a developer, you will have to pay $7 per month. If you want GitHub for a team, you will have to invest $9 per month and for organizations, it is $21 per month.
If you are looking for an on-premise tool, Linx can serve as a good choice. You can leverage it for application development, APIs, and automation. You can build, connect, and automate backend services using this low code development platform. In comparison with a traditional development environment, Linx facilitates faster and simpler solution development.
Key Features of Linx
- You get visual debugging features with Linx.
- You can create database applications, event-triggered applications, and a myriad range of other applications.
- You can automate your workflows by building the required components in advance and then use those components to design various applications.
- You can use given programming services and functions for faster application delivery.
- You can use the Linx IDE desktop designer plan for free and the application server plan for $149 per month.
Cloud9 is a practice management solution, which is cloud-based and can support a myriad range of programming languages, including PHP, Python, and Java. In 2016, Amazon Web Service (AWS) acquired Cloud9 and made it better to become a diverse option for software development practice.
Key Features of Cloud9
- You can use the collaborating option in Cloud9 to code mutually in the cloud.
- You get direct access to AWS.
- You can efficiently write, run, and debug your serverless applications using Cloud9.
- You can script, run, and debug codes in the cloud.
- Cloud9 gives you a wide range of run configurations.
When we are talking about the best software development tools in 2020, software analytics platform Embold just has to be on the list. It is an AI-based platform that allows you to fix bugs before deployment. So you get a lot of time saved with Embold. It facilitates you with enhanced stability, better security, advanced robustness, and improved maintainability.
Key Features of Embold
- You can easily integrate Embold with Bitbucket, Git, Azure, and GitHub for IntelliJ IDEA and Eclipse.
- It has anti-pattern detection that averts the compounding of insupportable code.
- The Embold plug-ins allow you to choose code vulnerabilities and smell while coding.
5. Access Rights Manager
If you want to handle your audit access, Access Rights Manager can do a good job across IT infrastructure. You can quickly create audit-ready reports and identify compliance by simply recognizing changes.
Key Features of Acess Rights Manager
- As the name suggests, it helps in seamlessly supervising access rights.
- You get quick account provisioning.
- You stay safe from insider threats to an extent.
- You can even use the Access Rights Manager with high-risk access.
The list of best software development tools is incomplete without a continuous integration and delivery platform, like Buddy. It has delivery pipelines that help you in deploying, testing, and building software. You can arrange these pipelines in a methodical way through its unique action system.
Key Features of Buddy
- Code deployment in Buddy is very smooth.
- The configuration doesn’t eat up a lot of your time.
- It is compatible with a multitude of task managers, frameworks, and languages.
- It can be easily integrated with AWS, WordPress, Google, etc.
NetBeans is one of the best open-source IDE among all the top software development tools. You can develop mobile, web, and desktop applications using it. One of its peculiarities is that it allows quick application building. It is written in Java and one of the best in drag-and-drop software development tools.
Key Features of NetBeans
- You can edit codes swiftly.
- It is an open-source IDE, so you get a lot of plug-ins from the community.
- It supports a myriad range of programming languages.
- It enables the writing of bug-free codes.
- The best part is you don’t have to pay for using it because it’s free.
If you are working on a project to develop complex custom enterprise software, consider using Quixy. It is an easy-to-use, no-code, and visual platform being used in over 10 industry vertices. It steals the cake because you don’t need to write codes for creating applications.
Key Features of Quixy
- For using Quixy, you don’t need to be well-versed in coding as it is a Zero-Code platform.
- You get ready-to-use components and templates with it.
- It has a drag-and-drop feature, which allows you to control over 40 field controls.
- You get Quixy Simulator with it to test the created application.
- You can model your processes and develop workflows using Visual Builder.
Also Read: Freelance Vs Software Developer
9. Zend Studio
Zend Studio is a next-generation PHP IDE. With Zend Studio, you can code & debug quickly and build apps for better productivity of developers. The DPI settings of the primary operating system control the degree of scaling.
Key Features of Zend Studio
- The eclipse eco-system offers extensive plug-ins.
- You get better validation, indexing, and searching for PHP code.
- It is compatible with several other development tools, such as Git Flow, Docker, etc.
- You can debug the program using Zend Debugger, Xdebug, and Z-ray integration.
GitLab is a DevOps platform, which supports you in source code management, project planning, monitoring, and CI/CD. It is allegedly the first application built for the overall DevOps cycle.
Key Features of GitLab
- GitLab gives you planning tools to make coordination seamless.
- It makes creating, viewing, and managing codes easier.
- You can ship your code with zero-touch.
- You get automated testing and reporting with GitLab.
- It has 3 plans, starter plan ($4/user/month), premium plan ($19/user/month), and ultimate plan ($99/user/month).
Bootstrap is one of the eminent names among CSS, HTML, and JS libraries in the world. It is a free and open-source framework considered as one of the top choices for building responsive websites in a faster and simpler way. You can also develop mobile-first projects with Bootstrap using JS, CSS, and HTML.
Key Features of Bootstrap
- Bootstrap is highly customizable.
- You can model your ideas and create a web application swiftly.
- You get several features, including pre-built components, plug-ins, responsive grid system, saas variables & mixins.
- You get a smart drag-and-drop feature in Bootstrap.
If you are displeased with the collaboration between your development teams, then choose Bitbucket to fill that gap for you. It is a web-based version control system that can be utilized as a development project and source code repository.
Key Features of Bitbucket
- Bitbucket allows you to manage repositories so that you can give attention to your goal, process, and product.
- It offers code collaboration, unlimited private repositories, flexible deployment models, and much more.
- It also supports numerous services, such as Git large file storage, smart mirroring, code search, Bitbucket pipelines, issue tracking, etc.
- For up to 5 users, Bitbucket is free with unlimited repositories.
- For a growing team, you have a standard plan at $2/user/month and for large teams, you have a premium plan at $5/user/month.
13. CodeCharge Studio
The tool that can help you in quick application building is CodeCharge Studio. You can develop enterprise internet, data-driven websites, and intranet systems using this software development tool.
Key Features of CodeCharge Studio
- CodeCharge Studio makes the conversion of website applications from the database easier.
- It generates well-structured code to avert pricey errors and misspellings.
- It saves your time and helps in creating robust and scalable web applications.
- You can take your programming projects in any environment and learn web technologies by altering code.
14. Crimson Editor
Crimson Editor is built only for Microsoft Windows. It is a freeware text editor, which is used as a source code editor and HTML editor.
Key Features of Crimson Editor
- The features that you get with Crimson Editor include multilevel undo/redo, user tools & macros, print, print preview, editing of numerous documents, etc.
- You can edit the score or programming languages, such as C, C++, HTML, Java, and Perl.
- You get a user manual with Crimson Editor to help you in easy navigation and fast learning.
- It loads faster and is small in size.
Kwatee is an automated and lightweight software development tool. It helps you working seamlessly by automating microservices or applications and deployment of text & binary files irrespective of server numbers.
Key Features of Kwatee
- Kwatee is compatible with a myriad range of operating systems, such as Windows, Solaris, Windows, Linux, etc.
- You don’t have to install and configure this tool.
- It eliminates many operational risks throughout the software development process.
- The web interface of Kwatee allows smooth configuration of deployments.
One of the most well-known names among IDEs is Eclipse. This software development tool is mostly used by Java developers. Apart from Java, it also supports PHAP, C, C#, C++, ABAP, etc.
- You can experiment with new solutions and innovations by using this open-source tool.
- You get code completion, rich client platform, industrial level of development, refactoring, etc.
- You can develop cloud, desktop, and web IDEs.
- You get a large collection of add-on tools with Eclipse.
- Eclipse can be integrated with various frameworks, such as JUnit and TestNG.
CodeLobster is a free and cross-platform IDE that helps in simplifying the process of PHP software development. Various content management platforms, including WordPress, Magento, Drupal, and Joomla are supported by CodeLobster.
Key Features of CodeLobster
- You get many features with CodeLobster, including current tag attributes, auto-completion of tags, and closure of tags.
- You can leverage PHP Advanced auto-complete with CodeLobster.
- It enables the auto-completion of DOM elements and keywords.
HeadSpin is one of its kind software development tools. It is Connected Intelligence PlatformTM that offers 5G, Intranet of Things, web, and mobile solutions. You can test and monitor your applications, networks, and devices for an optimal digital connected experience.
Key Features of HeadSpin
- You can use HeadSpin to test in real-time conditions.
- You can leverage remote debugging, code profiling, and local debugging.
- It offers intelligent alerting.
- You get over 30 automation frameworks with HeadSpin.
- You can get a free trial to gain experience and purchase a subscription after that.
Key Features of AngularJS
- AngularJS is suitable for data-driven apps.
- The features of AngularJS are easy to edit or replace according to the project requirement and development workflow.
- It offers protection against basic security holes, including cross-site scripting and HTML injection attacks.
- AnsgularJS has advanced features, including dependency injection, form validation, data binding, directives, reusable components, localization, etc.
- It can work on desktop as well as mobile, such as Mozilla Firefox, IE, iOS, Chrome, etc.
Recommended Reading — A Complete Guide to Hiring AngularJS Developers
Atom is a well-known software development tool that is open-source and free to use. It is highly customizable and you don’t have to put extra effort into modifying the configuration file.
Key Features of Atom
- Atom works on various operating systems, including OS X, Windows, and Linux.
- It has a built-in package manager, multiple panes, find & replace feature, file system browser, and smart auto-complete.
- It helps you write code faster.
- You can open the whole project in just one window.
- You can use it to develop cross-platform apps with the help of Electron, which is a framework.
21. Microsoft Azure
Last but not the least, Microsoft Azure, a go-to platform for numerous developers. You can design, deploy, test, and manage web apps using Azure. It is so versatile that it supports a multitude of devices, programming languages, operating systems, and frameworks.
Key Features of Microsoft Azure
- Microsoft Azure lets you leverage various services, such as storage services, media services, business analytics, mobile services, caching, CDN, messaging, and much more.
- It supports several operating systems, including Linux, Windows, Mac OS, etc.
- You can easily detect threats and reduce them.
We have tried to cover almost every best software development tool on our list. To choose the required tools, you first need to identify the requirements of your projects and then select tools that satisfy your project requirement.
Without identifying your needs and just picking random software development tools will not lead you to the accomplishment of your project. So, analyze and choose wisely.