For Episode 51 of The CareerMetis Podcast, we will learn about: A Day in the Life of an IT Professional in the Public Sector.
Adam Poston is an IT professional in the public service sector. He began his career doing IT for retail and eventually getting a government contract with the US Department of State Bureau of International Narcotics and Law Enforcement.
He traveled and worked in some pretty exciting places, and moved through various positions during his career before landing a job with the Space Program.
1. Adam explains how he got his start in IT, and how he managed to move up through various positions and jobs.
2. He talks about his time in Colombia as well as Iraq and explains the various duties and positions he’s held during his career path.
3. Adam explains the difference between working private sector versus working for the government and then goes into a day to day breakdown of what he does in his job.
4. He talks about the pros and cons of the IT industry, and which parts he enjoys the most, as well as the importance of continually learning.
5. Adam discusses the certification process, as well as the best place to start in the IT field.
“The hunt is what really made me want to do it because I wanted to do more in this industry.”
“I still liked to be in the nuts and bolts working on servers, that’s what brings me pleasure, to see the immediate return on the hard work you put in.”
“When you choose a career in IT, you’re going to be a career student at the same time.”
“That first certification you hold in your hand is literally a key to a much bigger kingdom”
Intro Music provided courtesy of Accelerated Ideas (www.accelerated-ideas.com). Soundtrack – Siren Kickback
Ending Music provided courtesy of Accelerated Ideas (www.accelerated-ideas.com). Soundtrack – No Need to Rush