For Episode 71 of The CareerMetis Podcast, we will learn about: A Day in the Life of an IT Solutions Architect- Larry Gioia.
1. Larry kicks off the interview explaining what he does for a living, what consultancy is, and that the title of IT Solutions Architect comes down to.
2. He explains the various industries in which architects are found, and the role they play within their field. He also describes the ideal degrees that would do well within the role of a solutions architect.
3. He breaks down a day in his career, and explains that depending on the client, or job, things can differ quite a bit, but overall there is a process that he follows in order to achieve the goals his clients set out.
4. Larry clearly loves his work, and jumps at the opportunity to tell Nissar about some of the things he enjoys most: The challenge around the various jobs he gets to do in this role, as well as the variety of work he gets to experience comes to the forefront immediately.
5. Larry also loves the fact that he gets to work with really smart people, and be on the cutting edge of new technologies every day.
6. Nissar asks about the challenges within the role of a solutions architect, and Larry is happy to level with him on some of the less enjoyable aspects. He has to deal with a lot of “sticky situations” within his role, and problem solving is an essential skill in order to keep his clients happy and moving forward.
7. He also explains that he travels and it can be difficult for some people to properly balance the demands of their job and their life outside of work.
8. Larry also talks about the various internships that are available, and why it can be a great idea to explore and get a feel for the various roles and companies out there.
9. He explains some of the certification processes required to do the job, and also describes the potential directions someone could take their career path technology, engineering and architecture.
“We're all essentially consultants in some way, shape or form”
“I do a lot of everything, and have learned a lot in the process over the years”
“It's a great fit for someone coming out of a very technical engineering degree”
“Communication is not just a one way street”
“At the end of the day, it's about who you work with”
“explore what's out there because there are many facets”
“It's not about who you know. It's about who you know who knows who you need to know”
Intro Music provided courtesy of Accelerated Ideas (www.accelerated-ideas.com). Soundtrack – Siren Kickback
Ending Music provided courtesy of Accelerated Ideas (www.accelerated-ideas.com). Soundtrack – No Need to Rush