For Episode 49 of The CareerMetis Podcast, we will learn about : A Day in the Life of a Psychiatric Nurse.
Jennifer Fenton is a registered psychiatric nurse.
While on a trip to El Salvador in 2002, Jennifer noticed the need for health care in other countries. Upon returning home, she started her education in nursing and began working with various types of patients and people while working toward her degree. In 2009 she got an opportunity to begin working in Behavioral Health.
She has been working in behavioral and mental health ever since, and loving it.
1. Jennifer shares the moment she became aware of wanting to pursue a career in health, and the steps she took to get there.
2. She describes the various different people her career brings her in contact with, and the things that she is able to provide to her patients.
3. Jennifer talks about some of the challenges she faces in her position, and talks about the importance of awareness, and how this career requires a heightened sense of awareness, both of ones surroundings, and oneself.
4. She also talks about the good side of what she does, and relates a story about meeting up with a woman she cared for out in the community after she left the hospital.
5. Jennifer describes the different ways to go about nursing, as well as what's required to work in behavioral health specifically.
“Once you hear their stories and hear why they've made certain choices, you get a deeper understanding of what they're going through”
“Just because you can pass the test, doesn't mean you're good at what you do.”
“Set good boundaries for yourself”
Intro Music provided courtesy of Accelerated Ideas (www.accelerated-ideas.com). Soundtrack – Siren Kickback
Ending Music provided courtesy of Accelerated Ideas (www.accelerated-ideas.com). Soundtrack – No Need to Rush