This interview is part of the “Career Expert Series“.
Emily Kapit’s BIO
Emily Kapit, MS, MRW, ACRW, CPRW, is a triple certified Master Resume Writer and industry leading career strategist. She is also the Founder of ReFresh Your Step, LLC, a career advisory firm based in Miami, Florida, with clients located nationally and internationally. She and her team of highly certified writers and career advisors work extensively with clients on all facets of their career progression, including resumes/cover letters, LinkedIn profiles, job search strategies, mock interviews, career guidance, and more.
Emily Kapit Shares her insights based on her experience helping candidates from various careers, ranging from Astronauts to Zoologists. Here is a summary of our discussion.
1. The first & most important thing you have to do before your begin the job search process – step back and see yourself as an individual of accomplishments. Having this information and mindset will help you to craft your resume, LinkedIn, Interviews,etc.
2. When preparing a Resume – understand for whom you are preparing the resume i.e craft your resume thinking about the Hiring Manager or Recruiter in mind. This will allow you to stand out and establish yourself as a strong candidate.
3. Showcase a Consistency of Excellence throughout your job search process.
4. LinkedIn is an absolute must in your job search process. Optimize your profile with Skills, Endorsements,etc. to showcase a strong personal brand on LinkedIn.
5. A Job Interview is a two-way street – you are there to learn as much about the company/interviewer , as much as they are learning about you.
6. The importance of asking proper questions during the job interview process. Learn more about the culture to ascertain a proper fit.
7. When and how to bring up compensation during the job search process?
8. Leverage Informational Interviews to tap into jobs that are not posted.
Links and Resources
Intro Music provided courtesy of Accelerated Ideas (www.accelerated-ideas.com). Soundtrack – Siren Kickback
Ending Music provided courtesy of Accelerated Ideas (www.accelerated-ideas.com). Soundtrack – No Need to Rush