For Episode 52 of The CareerMetis Podcast, we will be hearing from Scott Barlow who shares his insights & ideas for job seekers to first identify their strengths and then finding the ideal careers suited for them.
This interview is part of the “Career Expert Series“.
Scott Barlow started his first business during college. He felt that the opportunity to learn and implement in real time allowed him to develop skills and perspectives about business that would later come in handy.
After College, he went through various career changes before deciding to go into business for himself again. He was already answering a lot of questions surrounding careers and jobs, that he made the connection and Happen To Your Business was born.
1. Scott tells the story of college, career changes, and how Happen to Your Career came about.
2. He talks about how he used jobs to fine tune what he wanted, and then struck out on his own. He also talks about finding work that’s “unapologetically you”
3. Scott talks about various challenges he helps deal with when people require his services, and shares some of the struggles and solutions he’s experienced.
4. He discusses where people tend to go wrong in their job search, and explains an alternative way to look for an ideal place to work.
5. Scott talks about some of the changes that have occurred in recent years for job seekers and career changers, he also stresses the importance of selling yourself, and the role social media can play.
“I wanted to go back to owning a business that I was really excited about that allowed me to leverage my strengths, that I enjoyed, and really fit a lot of the things I wanted with my family.”
“A lot of people come to us where they feel they have to be two different people… and that is indication that it’s not good alignment”
“They haven’t identified what they want, they only started with what they don’t want”
“Don’t look for a job, instead look for places where you are likely to find that good fit”
“It’s going to be dependent on your ability to sell yourself”
“Where and how do you want to be spending your time?”
To learn more about Scott Barlow and for additional resources, you can visit his website.
Scott also shared a resource – FigureItOut.co that will teach you how to do work that fits you.
Intro Music provided courtesy of Accelerated Ideas (www.accelerated-ideas.com). Soundtrack – Siren Kickback
Ending Music provided courtesy of Accelerated Ideas (www.accelerated-ideas.com). Soundtrack – No Need to Rush