For Episode 112 of The CareerMetis Podcast, we will be hearing from Kwame Christian.
This interview is part of the “Career Expert Series“.
GUEST INTRODUCTION – KWAME CHRISTIAN
Kwame Christian is the director of the American Negotiation Institute, he teaches us about an alternative way to resolve conflict. He’s a business lawyer, and serves as a negotiation consultant for attorneys and companies closing large business deals. On top of that, he also hosts the podcast Negotiate Anything.
1. Kwame’s initial academic love was psychology, and he achieved a bachelor of psychology before turning his focus to Law. As a result of his interest in psychology, his approach to negotiation differs from that of most lawyers and attorneys. He uses his knowledge and skills to teach others how to negotiate more effectively in order to resolve conflict in a much more impactful way.
2. Kwame tells the story of a day at the playground when no one would play with him, and how that day shaped his determination to be liked. Respect came later when he decided to become good at conflict instead of avoiding it. We negotiate every day, and mastering the skill is life changing.
3. Negotiation awareness is important to attain if you wish to strengthen your relationships and get more of what you want out of life. Kwame shares what that means, and where it can be applied to create win/win situations and help more people around you.
4. Kwame talks about reframing difficult conversations in a way that shifts them into a positive situation instead of a negative or stressful one.
5. Kwame also shares 3 steps to having a successful negotiation, and goes into detail about what they are, and how to apply them.
“No matter who I talked to, who I asked, nobody would play with me”.
“Once I learned it was a skill, a skill I could improve upon, it was life changing”.
“A negotiation is a conversation where somebody in the conversation wants something”.
“Negotiation is everywhere”.
“The best things in life are often on the other side of a difficult conversation”.
“You should look at these conversations as fact finding missions”.
“None of this matters if you don’t take action”.
“There is no perfect circumstance”
- American Negotiation Institute
- Podcast – Negotiate Anything
- Free Negotiation Guide
- TedX Talk – Finding Confidence in Conflict
Intro Music provided courtesy of Accelerated Ideas (www.accelerated-ideas.com). Soundtrack – Siren Kickback
Ending Music provided courtesy of Accelerated Ideas (www.accelerated-ideas.com). Soundtrack – No Need to Rush