Marc Miller, an Austin based Career Design Specialist and a baby boomer, has changed careers six times for many of the same life changing others have experienced.
Marc has worked for large companies including IBM and Lucent as a programmer, engineer, help desk support, trainer, marketer and IT consultant. He has been involved with two successful high tech startups, Agere Inc. and LifeSize Communications developing training programs. He has delivered training in 40 different countries.
An active member of the Launch Pad Job Club, Marc found himself counseling friends and associates on their career journeys and finally realized he’d found his vocation. He would use his extensive training experience to help others—especially Baby Boomers—find careers that they could grow into for the decades that lie ahead.
Marc Miller is passionate about his work and the clients he serves. He’s taught in more than 35 countries and helped clients from many industries
This interview is part of the “Career Expert Series“.
1. The biggest change that has impacted Job search in today’s economy is social media. It has completely changed the way you find jobs today. Marc Miller spends a good amount of time of the evolution of the job search process in the last 20 years.
2. How to optimize your LinkedIn profile, if such a way that you get found.
3. The best and fastest way to get hired is to develop relationships at companies that need you. Employee referrals are very effective in improving your odds of getting a job at a particular employer.
4. How to position yourself if you want to change industries? Marc shares his proven ideas on how you can find a job in adjacent industries.
5. What is the first thing you do if you are laid-off or fired?
Intro Music provided courtesy of Accelerated Ideas (www.accelerated-ideas.com). Soundtrack – Siren Kickback
Ending Music provided courtesy of Accelerated Ideas (www.accelerated-ideas.com). Soundtrack – No Need to Rush