For Episode 104 of The CareerMetis Podcast, we will be hearing from Thea Kelley.
This interview is part of the “Career Expert Series“.
Guest Introduction – Thea Kelley
Thea Kelley brings extensive expertise and credentials to her work, providing job search and interview coaching to clients in the San Francisco Bay area and throughout the United States.
Thea Kelley has an extensive amount of certifications and qualifications. Among them, she is a Certified Employment Interview Consultant (CEIC), Certified Professional Resume Writer (CPRW),Global Career Development Facilitator (GCDF),Online Professional Networking Strategist (OPNS), and she is also the author of The Quick and Complete Guide to a Winning Interview.
2. Thea came to the job search niche from a background in writing and editing. A lot of the writing she was doing was in the job search field, and with the experience cane a desire to further delve into the intricacies of job seeking.
2. Thea started her own business 10 years ago after being let go from a company she worked for and finding that she enjoyed helping others find work more than the jobs she was being interviewed for.
3. Thea describes the challenges that a lot of professionals face when it comes to selling themselves to a potential employer.
4. Thea shares that a lot of them are either too modest, or not focused enough which causes a lack of replies from potential employers. Thea also feels that there is a lack of feedback from potential employers on why applicants aren’t a good fit for the job.
6. Thea explains where professionals go wrong, and how to stand out in the course of the job search. From the resume to the interview, she shares that you want to share your unique selling propositions with your potential employer.
7. She also shares specific questions that you can ask yourself to help identify what your difference makers are.
8. She also gives us insight into the REV method (Relevance, Exceptional and Verifiable), and backs them up with amazing examples.
9. Thea expands on the importance of having a strong online presence, and why you want to have social proof to strengthen your position with a potential employer.
10. Thea talks about having a profile photo with a smile, a good LinkedIn profile, and how likely an employer is to Google you.
11. Thea also discloses a few actionable tips that will greatly improve your resume and interview skills.
Get your report on how to stand out in your job search:
“The vast majority of professionals are much better at doing their jobs than at convincing someone else how good they are at doing their jobs”.
“People can be left not having any idea why they didn’t get the offer”.
“What makes you special or different?”.
“There are some kinds of key selling points that work better than others.”
“It’s like you’re trying to market a product without deciding what’s special about it”
“Make sure your social media all looks decent and respectable”.
Links & Resources
Intro Music provided courtesy of Accelerated Ideas (www.accelerated-ideas.com). Soundtrack – Siren Kickback
Ending Music provided courtesy of Accelerated Ideas (www.accelerated-ideas.com). Soundtrack – No Need to Rush