For Episode 58 of The CareerMetis Podcast, we will be hearing from Pete Blum
Pete Blum runs The Veteran Connections Podcast.
It’s a weekly podcast that supports our transitioning veterans as they begin their journey into the civilian business world.
Pete interviews veteran business owners about what steps they are taking, the hurdles they have encountered, and what advice they can give other veterans and business owners.
1. Pete explains how his transition out of the military caused him to learn some vital things that he could teach other veterans.
2. He tells listeners about having to undergo the process twice, and the events that led up to the start of the Veteran Connections Podcast.
3. Pete describes the premise of the Veteran Connections podcast, it’s early days, and what listeners can expect to hear when they tune in.
4. He talks about some of the obstacles that veterans face when transition out of the military and into the civilian community.
5. He also share some of the advantages that veterans bring to businesses who hire them.
6. Pete gives a ton of valuable tips, tricks, insights and perspectives on finding a job as a veteran, from the starting line of researching companies, down to tiny things veterans can do accidentally to interview themselves out of a job.
7. He shares actionable things that veterans can apply immediately to increase their chances successfully finding employment.
“When they get out, they’ve done that their whole life, so they don’t really know anything about the civilian community”
“Things on the outside are very different from the military”
“Everyone I’ve talked to who has been through TAPS basically says it’s not enough”
“If you want to find a job, first of all you have to research companies”
“You go into an interview and they want to know about you. They want to know what skills you have, what have you actually accomplished yourself.”
“You need to find something that matches how you feel, or matches your passion.”
Pete Blum runs The Veteran Connections Podcast- a weekly podcast that supports our transitioning veterans as they begin their journey into the civilian business world.
Intro Music provided courtesy of Accelerated Ideas (www.accelerated-ideas.com). Soundtrack – Siren Kickback
Ending Music provided courtesy of Accelerated Ideas (www.accelerated-ideas.com). Soundtrack – No Need to Rush