For Episode 84 of The CareerMetis Podcast, we will learn about: A Day in the Life of a Product Marketing Manager from our guest Joydeep Gangopadhyay.
Guest Introduction – Joydeep Gangopadhyay
Joydeep Gangopadhyay is a Product Marketing Manager at Facebook.
Joydeep has worked for Facebook for 4 years so far with a single mission in mind: Make meaningful connections between businesses and people.
1. Joydeep goes in depth about what a Product Marketing Manager is, and the roles they play in the success of not only a company, but in building relationships with the people who need the product.
2. He explains that his job is a lot about understanding the market, and how to best achieve a client’s goals within that market.
3. He also shares his journey going from studying computer science and software engineering in college to what he does today, and the various stages along the way.
4. He gives some insight on something called the Regret Minimization Framework: the idea is to fast forward 100 years and ask yourself “will I regret not doing this?” in order to minimize the amount of regret you’ll have at the end of your life.
5. Joydeep goes into his day to day , and the job he does surrounding the Facebook Pixel. He explains what the Facebook Pixel is, and how it benefits business owners who use online advertising to make sales.
6. Joydeep’s day begins by gathering insights on where people spend time, and the trends they tend to follow. He then spends time looking at data surrounding growth, and determining why something is growing, in order to build products surrounding that marketing opportunity.
7. He breaks the job down into 2 parts: Inbound Marketing which helps them answers the questions: What do we build, who do we build for, what do they need and why?
8. The second part is Outbound Marketing: the product is built at this point, so how do we package it? How do we talk about it? How do we get it out to market? Joydeep also talks about various challenges he faces day to day, and what he’s learned from them.
9. He also describes the best ways for a person to develop the necessary skills to become a product marketing manager, as well as how to apply for a job like this, since it’s often very difficult to obtain from a job posting site.
10. He leaves us with some excellent advice surrounding life, careers, and taking risks
“The role of product marketing manager didn’t exist 20 years ago”.
“In hindsight, all those dots connect very well, but at the time there was a lot of uncertainty”.
“We were on the cusp of a fourth industrial revolution that was information led”.
“These publishers that were publishing videos online needed a way to monetize”.
“Most of the things that we regret in life are the things we didn’t try”.
“Challenges, if you can get through them, end up making you stronger”.
“There is great leadership opportunity in challenges”.
“The biggest career risk is not taking any risks”.
Links & Resources
To learn more about Joydeep Gangopadhyay, you can connect with him on LinkedIn.
Intro Music provided courtesy of Accelerated Ideas (www.accelerated-ideas.com). Soundtrack – Siren Kickback
Ending Music provided courtesy of Accelerated Ideas (www.accelerated-ideas.com). Soundtrack – No Need to Rush