For Episode 85 of The CareerMetis Podcast, we will learn about: A Day in the Life of a Talent Manager & Strategist from our guest Ashwin Jacob
Guest Introduction – Ashwin Jacob
Ashwin Jacob is the Head of Talent & Brand at Iconic Media Group, based in Los Angeles, California.
Ashwin Jacob is a first generation American who learned English through entertainment mediums like television and music. He saw a lot of people he related to within the entertainment industry that ultimately caused him to want to be involved.
He was told it was a pipe dream, but he went for it anyway and has had a very robust and interesting career in various roles within the entertainment industry that has him rubbing shoulders with some of the most talented people on the planet.
1. Ashwin kicks things off by clarifying the difference between a talent manager and an agent. He explains that an agent is more in the realm of lining up work and deals in the short term for clients, whereas a talent manager has to keep the long term vision in mind and figure out the balance between what is good for the client now, and how it will benefit them or hurt their career in the future.
2. He has to be able to communicate with all kinds of people in order to make things run as smoothly as possible.
3. He talks about the visibility within the entertainment industry, and how his job directly impacts not only himself and his client, but everyone who is touched by the work that they do.
4. He also pulls a few of his favorite things out of the job , including the negotiations involved with every step of the journey, and building the relationships required to get things accomplished.
5. He lists the demand as one of the challenges of the entertainment industry and his job specifically. He shares that unlike a regular 9 to 5, he doesn’t get to shut his work off at the end of a long day, it’s more of a lifestyle and he has to be fully committed to what goes into making it succeed.
6. He also describes the sensitivity required when dealing with artists and creatives, because their entire life and energy goes into their art, and it takes an equally artistic approach to create a rewarding and fulfilling career.
7. To get started on the path to talent management, Ashwin recommends you start meeting people. Apply to be an intern at a talent agency, there is so much you can learn and so many people you can meet while working as an intern or assistant. It can truly open doors to people you couldn’t meet on your own.
8. He also shares what kinds of backgrounds people typically come from, and how you can progress regardless of your scholastic achievements.
“I get to work with people that range from Athletes to digital influencers”
“Every client is unique in their own way, and every day has its hurdles”
“Entertainment isn’t necessarily the highest paid industry in the world, but it’s definitely the most visible”
“The challenge in entertainment is you really have to be on. All the time.”
“An assistant really becomes an extension of the executive they work for”
Links & Resources
Intro Music provided courtesy of Accelerated Ideas (www.accelerated-ideas.com). Soundtrack – Siren Kickback
Ending Music provided courtesy of Accelerated Ideas (www.accelerated-ideas.com). Soundtrack – No Need to Rush