For Episode 109 of The CareerMetis Podcast, we will be hearing from Jerri Williams, Retired Special Agent at the FBI.
This interview is part of the “Industry Expert Series“.
Guest Introduction – Jerri Williams
Jerri Williams served 26 years as a special agent with the FBI (Federal Bureau of Investigation).
During her career, Jerri specialized in cases targeting major economic crime and corruption.
Post retirement, she has served as the spokesperson and director of media relations for SEPTA, which is Philadelphia’s public transportation provider. She also produces a popular podcast called FBI Retired Case File Review. Beyond all this, Jerri’s also a published author!
1. Jerri Williams got her start as a juvenile probation officer before an ad she saw had her moving into a much different role in the FBI. She describes the role of the Federal Bureau of Investigation, and a small glimpse at a few of the 200 violations of Federal Law that they investigate
2. Jerri gives some insight into what someone who wishes to join the FBI needs to know, including their age requirements, drug policy, experience needed and things you need to consider before considering a career with the bureau. The application process is competitive and health and experience are essential to being chosen.
3. Jerri lets us in on the day to day demands on an FBI agent, and how every case can require different elements to be in place. Manpower, resources, time, warrant and various other things all come into play, and can vastly impact an agent’s day.
4. The level of commitment required by the FBI is far above most other careers, and as a result it’s more of a calling or mission than a job. It’s a lot less about what you do, and more about who you are.
5. Jerri tells us about her books and her podcast, as well as her views on the negative hearsay that exists about the FBI. She also gives some insight into what other agents tend to do post retirement.
“The FBI is a law enforcement agency and since 9/11 has also become intelligence driven”
“We keep this nation safe and we make sure that Federal laws are followed”
“What the FBI is looking for is people who can do the job”
“What’s more important is the experience that you bring with you”
“Each agent almost runs their own business”
“It’s a new situation, it’s a new experience, but I have the confidence in myself that I’m going to be able to figure this out”
Links & Resources
To learn more about Jerri Williams, you can visit her website.
Intro Music provided courtesy of Accelerated Ideas (www.accelerated-ideas.com). Soundtrack – Siren Kickback
Ending Music provided courtesy of Accelerated Ideas (www.accelerated-ideas.com). Soundtrack – No Need to Rush