For Episode 54 of The CareerMetis Podcast, we will be continuing the Leadership Expert Series; and we will be hearing from Executive Leadership Coach and Consultant Susan Barber.
Guest Introduction – Susan Barber
After spending 25 years in corporate America, Susan Barber had been involved with many aspects of business including sales, supply chain and IT. She discovered a passion for creating and developing leadership within organizations and decided to pursue it as a business opportunity.
Susan offers leadership coaching to leaders within organizations and focuses on bringing executive style coaching to mid-level managers and new leaders.
1. Susan shares how she found her passion in developing leaders and explains what leadership means to her.
2. She talks about the importance of leadership skills and the benefit to developing them.
3. She also shares a few qualities that she feels successful leaders possess.
4. Susan gives some insight on natural abilities and how they play into leadership, as well as question the reason behind wanting to become a leader. She also stresses the importance of self-awareness in the leadership process.
5. She shares a ton of actionable things someone could do to increase their visibility within an organization.
6. Susan also talks about vocalizing what you want out of the company and people around you.
7. Susan shares a story of someone she knows personally, and how she grew into a better leader, as well as a public figure that she took leadership lessons from.
8. She concludes the interview with a few more lessons and insights about professional development.
“To me, it’s about really taking the initiative to set a vision, to motivate people to do their best,”
“When you become a leader, you have to build other superheroes”
“You can be a leader at any stage in your career”
“Understand who you are.”
“If you don’t ask for what you want, no one is going to know what you want”
Links & Resources
To learn more about Susan Barber and for additional resources, you can visit her website.
In this Infographic – Susan shares her top 10 insights on how leaders can get more visibility.
During our interview, Susan talked about how to promote yourself within your organization without coming across as snobby, and this book will provide more ideas – Brag!: The Art of Tooting Your Own Horn without Blowing It by Peggy Klaus.
Intro Music provided courtesy of Accelerated Ideas (www.accelerated-ideas.com). Soundtrack – Siren Kickback
Ending Music provided courtesy of Accelerated Ideas (www.accelerated-ideas.com). Soundtrack – No Need to Rush