For Episode 61 of The CareerMetis Podcast, we will be continuing the Leadership Expert Series; and we will be hearing from Leadership Coach and Consultant Yengyee Lor.
Guest Introduction – Yengyee Lor
Growing up Yengyee knew she wanted to help people, although she did not know what that would look like. She pursued her education, earning a Ph.D in organizational psychology.
She has a keen interest in developing others, and knows the qualities that make a great leader. She’s a strong advocate for introspection and self awareness, and believes everyone has leadership qualities within them that can be further developed.
Yengyee runs a leadership and team coaching and consulting business focused on developing high performing leaders and teams.
1. Yengyee talks about where her love of people has taken her, and how she found an interest in developing others within a company to perform better at their role.
2. She shares what leadership means to her, and some of the qualities she feels makes a good leader.
3. She also talks about assessments, and how they can help a person identify their strengths, and growth opportunities.
4. Yengyee explains why confidence is so important in leadership. She also talks about self awareness, and being able to notice when things make you uncomfortable, and how to shift that.
5. She shares a few tips that people can use to grow their leadership capabilities and their confidence within their leadership role.
6. To close out the show, Yengyee talks about who she feels exhibits the best form of leadership, and she shares a few final thoughts on what people can do if they are interested in becoming strong leaders, even if it’s leading their own life.
“In the workplace, there’s some dysfunction and leadership issues.”
“They lack the ability to engage, support and develop their staff.”
“You become very confident, empowered and love who you are.”
“You have to stay hungry, you have to have a growth mindset and continually embrace change”
“Leadership is the game of continuously reassessing ourselves.”
“If you don’t know what you don’t know, then you don’t know how to change it”
“The essence of change is awareness.”
Links & Resources
Intro Music provided courtesy of Accelerated Ideas (www.accelerated-ideas.com). Soundtrack – Siren Kickback
Ending Music provided courtesy of Accelerated Ideas (www.accelerated-ideas.com). Soundtrack – No Need to Rush