The CareerMetis Podcast hits Episode 100!
Our host Nissar Ahamed is honoured and thrilled to welcome back Larry Gioia to the Podcast for an impressive discussion about networking.
Larry Gioia also joined us for Ep#71 where he talked about his day-to-day life as an IT Solutions Architect.
This interview is part of the “Networking Expert Series“.
1. Nissar kicks things off by asking Larry about personality, and how that impacts a person’s ability to network. Larry is more than happy to address the misconceptions around introverts and extroverts.
2. He tells us about his experiences with networking, and how he feels it differs from connecting, which is much deeper and more fulfilling.
3. Traditional networking is about Who you Know. However, connecting is “Who you know, who knows who you need to know”.
4. Larry shares a concept about connection – ABCD – Always Be Connecting the Dots. He describes how he found it, and how it works.
5. Always a fan of sharing deeper knowledge, He goes on to describe the Rule of 7
6. Larry also introduces to us the Connector’s Blueprint, and how you can benefit from it. The elements of the Connector’s Blueprint are:
- Column 1 – List of 5-10 names of people you would like to meet
- Column 2 – List the people whom you feel most comfortable narrating (you can easily talk about what they do, and why they do it well?)
- Column 3 – For each name you put down in Column 2 – put down the name of person who can immediately benefit from the name(s) in Column 2
- Column 4 – Why did you put that particular name in Column 3?
7. Finally, Larry leaves us with powerful examples of community, what they can accomplish, and why they truly thrive.
“You don’t have to be an extrovert to be a great networker”
“I see networking as to a transaction and connecting is to relationships”
“It’s not about who you know, it’s about who you know who knows who you need to know”
“You’re connecting people for their why and their purpose, and no just because you know them”
Links & Resources
Intro Music provided courtesy of Accelerated Ideas (www.accelerated-ideas.com). Soundtrack – Siren Kickback
Ending Music provided courtesy of Accelerated Ideas (www.accelerated-ideas.com). Soundtrack – No Need to Rush