For Episode 89 of The CareerMetis Podcast, we will be hearing from John White.
This interview is part of the “Personal Branding Expert Series“.
Guest Introduction – John White
John White is the founder of Social Marketing Solutions: a digital marketing agency that works with entrepreneurs and tech companies to help them refine their message and deliver it to a strategic audience.
1. John talks about getting out of corporate and moving in a new direction.
2. Writing articles on LinkedIn and how that led to writing gigs with major publications such as Inc.com and Dice.com.
3. John suggests writing based on your personal experiences and sharing stories. He suggests sharing one’s personal experience that is relatable to other people is very effective. Storytelling is very powerful.
4. John shares some writing platforms to share one’s writing – LinkedIn Pulse, Medium,etc. LinkedIn is the top platform for B2B audience.
5. Social media isn’t something one should be doing once-in-a-while. It has to be incorporated into day-to-day activities. The most important thing is consistency, as it affects the results.
6. John shares his final piece of advice – “Be Bold. If there is something you want to do in your career or to chase after your dreams – be relentless and go for it”.
“I had a very successful run but I just wasn’t able to progress like I wanted to”
“I needed to do something different”
“I ignored all of my mentors and went ahead”
“Think about all of the stories, personal stories, from your career”
“That’s how you get readers, by giving them that emotional hook to your content”
“Social media has to become integrated with your day to day activities”
“You don’t have to be a writer to establish a personal brand these days”
“Personal branding is not something that happens overnight”
“Fear can be a powerful thing if we use it the right way”
Links & Resources
Intro Music provided courtesy of Accelerated Ideas (www.accelerated-ideas.com). Soundtrack – Siren Kickback
Ending Music provided courtesy of Accelerated Ideas (www.accelerated-ideas.com). Soundtrack – No Need to Rush