For Episode 87 of The CareerMetis Podcast, we will learn about: A Day in the Life of a Director of Analytics & A/B Testing from our guest Ramkumar Ravichandran.
Guest Introduction – Ramkumar Ravichandran
The Host (Nissar Ahamed) and today’s guest (Ramkumar Ravichandran) were classmates in University, and have since grown in very different professions.
The CareerMetis Podcast listeners have had questions about Analytics, so Nissar invited him onto the show to give us some insight into a day in his life!
Today, Ramkumar Ravichandran is the Director of Analytics & A/B Testing at VISA.
1. Ramkumar starts off by describing the 4 major components of the role he and his team fulfill, as well as the reason why they exist, and how they help the company they work for in their decision making.
2. He also gives us a behind the curtain look at his 3 part journey into Analytics, and how he got into this particular career.
3. He explains what his job consists of on both a hands on, and a leadership level, and the philosophy that he takes into work with him when it comes to leading his team.
4. Ramkumar shares the part of his job he loves: being able to see things before anyone else catches on.
5. He also opens up about 3 of the problems he faces: how hard it is to explain what analytics actually is, the broad scope of the job and how politics and responsibility can be tough, and finally how analytics can often be overlooked for budget support.
6. If you’re looking to get into analytics, it’s pretty crucial to be good at math and coding.
7. It’s crucial to have interest in the value proposition of the company, and to know how the customers and decision makers of the company think.
8. You have to keep learning within the industry, even the simple tasks change, so it’s important to keep up. Ramkumar also shares a few other tips and insights about succeeding in the field.
9. Finally he describes where you can take your knowledge and skills after analytics, and what roles you can grow into as a result of getting involved with an industry like this one.
“Our role is to ensure that we are able to make decisions quickly, effectively and confidently”
“At the end of all of it, we should have done something that would leave us looking back at our life and feeling like ‘yes, we have done something meaningful’”
“I was clueless. I had no direction”
“There were days when I would sit in the office up until 4:00AM checking online on what statistical modeling meant”
“I had to figure out how to do all of this well, and I had to do it quickly”
“in the first phase of your career you should focus on learning, and the earning will follow”
“If you empower and enable your team, they’re willing to do it much better than you”
“Everyone is an analyst at heart”
Links & Resources
To learn more about Ramkumar Ravichandran, you can connect with him on LinkedIn.
Intro Music provided courtesy of Accelerated Ideas (www.accelerated-ideas.com). Soundtrack – Siren Kickback
Ending Music provided courtesy of Accelerated Ideas (www.accelerated-ideas.com). Soundtrack – No Need to Rush